AISA has been serving independent schools in Alabama since 1970.
- HEADMASTERS' ASSOCIATION DUES: Headmasters' Association Dues - $150.00. The Treasurer is Rick Johnson so checks should be forwarded to his attention at Springwood School; P.O. Box 1030.; Lanett, AL 36863. Headmaster Association Officers:
President – John Mehaffey
VP – Doug Bradford
Secretary – Clint Welch
Please forward any concerns or ideas to one of these individuals. Being a member of the Headmasters' Association, qualifies you to have an applicant for the Headmasters' Association Scholarship.
- The next Activities (formerly called Council) Committee Meeting is scheduled for January 24, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. at the AISA office.
- AISA District Middle School (grades 6-8) Scholars' Bowl Competition date: January 9, 2018. AISA State Middle School Scholars' Bowl Competition date: January 29, 2018 at Huntingdon College Drum Theater.
- AISA District High School (grades 9-12) Scholars' Bowl Competition date: February 13, 2018. AISA State High School Scholars' Bowl Competition date: March 7, 2018 at Huntingdon College Drum Theater.
- AISA Region Drama Competition - January 10, 2018
AISA State Drama Festival - January 19, 2018 at the Faulkner University Theater, Montgomery, AL
- AISA District Spelling Bee: January 25, 2018
AISA State Spelling Bee:
February 7, 2018 at Huntingdon College Drum Theater
- AISA District Middle School/High School Math Competition: February 6, 2018
AISA State Middle School/High School Math Competition: February 23, 2018 - Faulkner University, Harris Building
- The 2018 AISA District Science Fair will be on February 12, 2018. District host schools are reminded to fax their results to the AISA office (334-833-4086) as soon as district competitions are completed. The 2018 AISA State Science Fair will be held on February 22, 2018 at Huntingdon College Wilson Gym, Montgomery.
- AISA SGA Information is due in the AISA office on March 28, 2018.
- AISA All-State Academic Team nomination form due in the AISA office on March 29, 2018.
- AISA State Reading Contest: Entries must be submitted into the AISA office no later than March 29, 2018. Please make sure you read the general information and rules.
- AISA Student Athlete nomination form is due in the AISA office on April 5, 2018.
- AISA District Art Shows will be held on April 18, 2018. The AISA State Art Show will be at the Faulkner University gymnasium, Montgomery, AL on April 27, 2018 with the set up beginning at 8:00 a.m. and the judging beginning promptly at 10:00 a.m. The public viewing will begin at 12:00 p.m.-12:45 p.m.
- AISA State Technology Fair will be held on April 20, 2018 at the Faulkner University Rotunda.
- AISA State SGA Convention: April 30, 2018 at Faulkner University gymnasium.
- The AISA Chairman's Award has been established by the AISA for the specific purpose of recognizing member schools that achieve athletic excellence during the school year. The Chairman's Award form MUST be in the AISA Office by June 1, 2018.
- The AISA President's Award was established by the AISA for the specific purpose of recognizing member schools that achieve academic excellence during the school year. President's Award form and documentation must be in the AISA office by June 1, 2018.
- ALABAMA HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION EXAMINATION AS RELATED TO AISA DIPLOMA AND ATHLETIC REQUIREMENTS: Rebecca Mims, Education Specialist for Assessment and Accountability, at the Alabama State Department of Education, has notified us that non-public school students may not take the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) unless their non-public school chooses to have all students tested. Therefore, the AISA’s academic and athletic requirement policies concerning senior transfers and the passing of the AHSGE are no longer in effect. Since these selected students no longer have the opportunity to retake failed portions of the test, we cannot enforce these policies. Students ruled ineligible due to this policy are now declared eligible effective immediately.
- ACCELERATED Dual Enrollment Online www.troy.edu/ecampus/accelerate
Athletic Director Notes
- AISA COACHES' ASSOCIATION DUES OF $150 ARE DUE NOVEMBER 1, 2017. Make your check payable to AISA Coaches' Association, and mail to Coach Glynn Lott, Coaches' Association President; Macon East Academy; 15396 Vaughn Rd.; Cecil, AL; 36013 $150.00 for all schools--after November 1, 2017 dues will go to $250.00.
- CONCUSSION RULE FOR ALL SPORTS: The AISA Athletic Committee voted unanimously on July 28, 2010 to approve the following concerning player concussions: Any player who shows signs or symptoms associated with a concussion shall not return to play in any sport until cleared by a medical doctor. Please refer to the NFHS Rules Book that your school was issued at the Annual Coaches’ Meeting. Click here for more information or policy forms
- AISA ATHLETIC HANDBOOK, GENERAL INFORMATION, PAGE 6--Note: It is the responsibility of the school to notify in writing the AISA office of any ejection of a coach or player within 48 hours. There will be a $100.00 fine for failure to report ejections. A player or coach ejected for conduct reasons from any playoff and/or final game of the sports season will be fined $250.00.
- THE 2017-2018 GATE ADMISSION FEES: Gate Admission Fees: Regular season play, Tournament play, Double headers and Jamborees: $7.00 adults $5.00 students. Area/Regional Playoffs: $7.00 Admission for everyone. Tripleheader Football Championships: $15.00 Admission for everyone. Admission to AISA State Athletic Events is $8.00 adults and students (All-Stars, Elite 8, Championship Play, etc.).
- AISA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PROGRAM: The AISA does not sponsor an AISA state championship program below the level of varsity athletics.
- ATTENTION ATHLETIC COMMITTEE: The next Athletic Committee Meeting is scheduled for January 24, 2018 at the AISA office, 10:00 a.m.
- SPORTS OFFICIAL BILL AND SPORTSMANSHIP: Please announce AISA Sportsmanship Statement and Sports Officials Bill prior to each athletic event. Click here to read these statements
- STUDENT-ATHLETIC TRANSFERS: The AISA Office must be notified immediately in writing by receiving school of any student-athlete transferring in from a member school. (Item 10, Letter F, Page 15 Athletic Handbook)
- ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS FOR 2017-18: Courses taken in summer school shall be considered an extension of the school year and credits earned in summer school may be used in determining scholastic eligibility of students. Independent Study and tutorial type courses may not be used for athletic eligibility purposes. All summer school work and approved correspondence/on-line courses may be used for eligibility purposes but final grades must be in and recorded on student's transcript on the Monday prior to the AISA’s third playing date for football (September 4, 2017). A student is allowed a maximum of two (2) units in summer school to establish eligibility for the fall semester. Clarification: Summer school is defined as any coursework begun after end of 2nd semester (as stated on AISA calendar) and concluded by the deadline set by the AISA.
- HOME SCHOOL OPPONENTS: PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT PROPOSAL/POLICY: “Student-athletes transferring from a home school and/or a non-traditional school program will be eligible for AISA interscholastic athletics, if all AISA eligibility requirements have been met. AISA schools are not allowed to play home school teams in any sport (exception ACSC).
- NATIONAL CENTER FOR SPORTS SAFETY: Please note contact information has changed as follows: National Center for Sports Safety; 2301 Morris Ave. Suite 105; Birmingham, Alabama 35203; Phone: 205-329-7535 or 7508; Fax: 205-329-7526; Toll-Free: 1-866-508-NCSS (6277); info@SportsSafety.org; Online Sports Safety Course: www.sportssafety.org
- PHYSICAL EXAMINATION FOR ALL AISA ATHLETES/CHEERLEADERS: Refer to Physical Exam Form and Medical History Form in the Appendix of your AISA Athletic Handbook. Call the AISA office if you have questions.
- ASSOCIATION BALL ADOPTION
- COACHES, CALL YOUR SCORES IN: Birmingham News: 800-283-4024; Mobile Register: 800-239-1340 or 251-219-5669, Mike Herndon; Montgomery Advertiser: 800-488-3579 or 334-240-0190, Sports; Selma Times: 334-410-1740 (sports desk) 334-875-2110 (Times-Journal mainline); Tuscaloosa News: 205-722-0223 or Watch Line 866-400-8477.
- AISA STATE BASEBALL TOURNAMENT at Paterson Field, Montgomery AL, May 8-9-10, 2018
- AISA STATE SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT at Lagoon Park, Montgomery, AL, May 4-5, 2018
- AISA STATE GOLF April 23-24, 2018 TBA
- AISA STATE SOCCER TOURNAMENT in Montgomery, AL on April 19-20, 2018
- AISA STATE TENNIS TOURNAMENT April 9-10, 2018 at Lagoon Park, Montgomery, AL
- AISA State Track and Field Meet - Gulf Shores, AL - April 12-13, 2018
- Morgan Academy will host Invitational Track Meets on the following dates at Memorial Stadium in Selma, AL:
Monday, March 5, 2018; Time: 1:00
Monday, March 12, 2018; Time: 1:00
Monday, April 2, 2018; Time: 1:00
For more information, email Coach Rob Robinson at email@example.com or call him at (334) 327-5757.
- WEST CHEERLEADER CLINIC at Huntingdon College July 9-12, 2018
- EAST CHEERLEADER CLINIC at Huntingdon College July 16-19, 2018