AISA has been serving independent schools in Alabama since 1970.
- HEADMASTERS' ASSOCIATION DUES: Headmasters' Association Dues - $150.00. The Treasurer is Rick Johnson so checks should be forwarded to his attention at Springwood School; P.O. Box 1030.; Lanett, AL 36863. Headmaster Association Officers:
President – Clint Welch
VP – Doug Bradford
Treasurer – Rick Johnson
Secretary – Becky Baggett
Please forward any concerns or ideas to one of these individuals. Being a member of the Headmasters' Association, qualifies you to have an applicant for the Headmasters' Association Scholarship.
- The next Activities Committee Meeting is scheduled for September 26, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. at the AISA office.
- State Reading Contest: Entries must be submitted into the AISA office no later than March 28, 2019. Please make sure you read the general information and rules.
- Oratorical Contest: District Contests are scheduled for October 16, 2018, and the State Contest is on October 23, 2018 at the Huntingdon College Drum Theater. Registration will begin at 9:30 a.m., and the contest will begin at 10:00 a.m. The topic for this year’s competition will be: "What makes someone a hero?"
- Spelling Bee: AISA District Spelling Bee: November 14, 2018
AISA State Spelling Bee:
December 6, 2018 at Huntingdon College Drum Theater
- Drama: AISA Region Drama Competition - November 27, 2018
AISA State Drama Festival - January 18, 2019 at TBA
- Creative Writing: Creative Writing Prompt: Dear Teacher, I couldn't do my homework last night because ... (create an idea that a teacher has likely never heard of before). Creative Writing is due in the AISA office no later than December 5, 2018.
- Scholars Bowl: AISA District Middle School (grades 6-8) Scholars' Bowl Competition Date: December 5, 2018. AISA State Middle School Scholars' Bowl Competition Date: January 28, 2019 Huntingdon College, Montgomery.
AISA District High School (grades 9-12) Scholars' Bowl Competition Date: February 6, 2019. AISA State High School Scholars' Bowl Competition Date: March 7, 2019 at Huntingdon College, Montgomery
- Math: AISA District Middle School/High School Math Competition: January 15, 2019. AISA State Middle School/High School Math Competition: February 8, 2019 - Auburn University at Montgomery, Goodwyn Hall.
- Science Fair: The District Science Fair will be on January 24, 2019. District host schools are reminded to fax their results to the AISA office (334-833-4086) as soon as district competitions are completed. The 2019 AISA State Science Fair will be held on February 1, 2019 at Huntingdon College Wilson Gym, Montgomery.
- All-State Academic Team nomination form is due in the AISA office by March 28, 2019.
- Choral Festivals: AISA Elementary Choral Festival on April 5, 2019 hosted at TBA with Coordinator, Ms. Debbie Anderson. AISA Honor Choir on TBA hosted at Huntingdon College, with Clinician, Dr. Damion Womack.
- Art Show: District Art Shows will be held on March 1, 2019. The AISA State Art Show will be at Auburn University at Montgomery, Taylor Center on April 17, 2019 with the set up beginning at 8:00 a.m. and the judging beginning promptly at 10:00 a.m. The public viewing will be from 12:00 p.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Technology Fair: The AISA State Technology Fair will be held on April 17, 2019 at Auburn University at Montgomery, Taylor Center with registration at 8:00 a.m. and the competition beginning at 8:30 a.m.
- The AISA Chairman's Award has been established by the AISA for the specific purpose of recognizing member schools that achieve athletic excellence during the school year. The Chairman's Award form MUST be in the AISA Office by June 1, 2019.
- AISA President's Award: The President's Award was established by the AISA for the specific purpose of recognizing member schools that achieve academic excellence during the school year. President's Award form and documentation must be in the AISA office by June 1, 2019.
- ALABAMA HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION EXAMINATION AS RELATED TO AISA DIPLOMA AND ATHLETIC REQUIREMENTS: Rebecca Mims, Education Specialist for Assessment and Accountability, at the Alabama State Department of Education, has notified us that non-public school students may not take the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) unless their non-public school chooses to have all students tested. Therefore, the AISA’s academic and athletic requirement policies concerning senior transfers and the passing of the AHSGE are no longer in effect. Since these selected students no longer have the opportunity to retake failed portions of the test, we cannot enforce these policies. Students ruled ineligible due to this policy are now declared eligible effective immediately.
- ACCELERATED Dual Enrollment Online www.troy.edu/ecampus/accelerate
Athletic Director Notes
- AISA COACHES' ASSOCIATION DUES OF $200 ARE DUE NOVEMBER 1, 2018. Make your check payable to AISA Coaches' Association, and mail to Coach Glynn Lott, Coaches' Association President; Macon East Academy; 15396 Vaughn Rd.; Cecil, AL; 36013 $200.00 for all schools--after November 1, 2018 dues will go to $300.00.
- CONCUSSION RULE FOR ALL SPORTS: AISA Concussion Policy: Any student athlete who exhibits signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with a concussion shall be removed from the contest and shall not return that day. Following the day the concussion symptoms occur, the student athlete may return to practice or play only after a medical release has been issued by a medical doctor. Click here for more information or policy forms
- THE 2018-2019 GATE ADMISSION FEES: Gate Admission Fees: Regular season play, Tournament play, Double headers and Jamborees: $7.00 adults $5.00 students. Area/Regional Playoffs: $7.00 Admission for everyone. Tripleheader Football Championships: $15.00 Admission for everyone. Admission to AISA State Athletic Events is $8.00 adults and students (All-Stars, Elite 8, Championship Play, etc.).
- AISA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PROGRAM: The AISA does not sponsor an AISA state championship program below the level of varsity athletics.
- ATTENTION ATHLETIC COMMITTEE: The next Athletic Committee Meeting is scheduled for September 26, 2018 at the AISA office at 10:00 a.m.
- SPORTS OFFICIAL BILL AND SPORTSMANSHIP: Please announce AISA Sportsmanship Statement and Sports Officials Bill prior to each athletic event. Click here to read these statements
- ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS FOR 2018-19: Courses taken in summer school shall be considered an extension of the school year and credits earned in summer school may be used in determining scholastic eligibility of students. Independent Study and tutorial type courses may not be used for athletic eligibility purposes. All summer school work and approved correspondence/on-line courses may be used for eligibility purposes but final grades must be in and recorded on student's transcript on the Monday prior to the AISA’s third playing date for football (September 3, 2018). A student is allowed a maximum of two (2) units in summer school to establish eligibility for the fall semester. Clarification: Summer school is defined as any coursework begun after end of 2nd semester (as stated on AISA calendar) and concluded by the deadline set by the AISA.
- HOME SCHOOL OPPONENTS: PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT PROPOSAL/POLICY: “Student-athletes transferring from a home school and/or a non-traditional school program will be eligible for AISA interscholastic athletics, if all AISA eligibility requirements have been met. AISA schools are not allowed to play home school teams in any sport (exception ACSC).
- PHYSICAL EXAMINATION FOR ALL AISA ATHLETES/CHEERLEADERS: Refer to Physical Exam Form and Medical History Form in the Appendix of your AISA Athletic Handbook. Call the AISA office if you have questions.
- AISA Football Tripleheader Championship at Troy University on November 16, 2018
- AISA All-Star Football game at Cramton Bowl, Montgomery at 7:00 p.m. on November 30, 2018
- AISA State Volleyball Tournament - Cramton Bowl Multiplex, Montgomery on November 1, 2018
- AISA All-Star Volleyball Game - Cramton Bowl Multiplex, Montgomery on November 3, 2018
- AISA State Basketball Elite Eight/Final Four Tournament - Cramton Bowl Multiplex, Montgomery on February 11-16, 2019
- AISA All-Star Basketball Games - Cramton Bowl Multiplex, Montgomery on February 22, 2019
- AISA State Baseball Tournament at Paterson Field, Montgomery AL, May 7-8-9, 2019
- AISA State Softball Tournament at Lagoon Park, Montgomery, AL, May 2-3, 2019
- AISA State Golf at TBA on April 29-30, 2019
- AISA State Soccer at Emory Folmar YMCA Soccer Complex, Montgomery on April 18-19, 2019
- AISA State Tennis Tournament at Lagoon Park, Montgomery on April 8-9, 2019
- AISA State Track and Field Meet in Gulf Shores on April 11-12, 2019.
- AISA Cheerleading Camp - June 24-27, 2019 at Troy University