Saint James School is currently seeking its next dynamic leader to serve as the Head Football Coach for the 2022 3A State Champion Trojan football team and back-to-back state semifinalists. This position, to be filled in Spring 2024, will be responsible for continuing to grow and strengthen the Trojan football program, which has earned five region titles in the last eight years and made the playoffs 10 years in a row.
The ideal candidate will have a meaningful and enduring impact on the school. As a key member of and leader in the athletic program, the Head Football Coach will:
- Make decisions aligned with the school’s mission and core values of character, commitment, courage, and community.
- Apply knowledge of athletics and relationship building to advance the school’s mission and positively impact students.
- Oversee the football coaching staff and closely manage the program budget.
- Coach student-athletes in game strategies and techniques to prepare them for athletic competition.
- Motivate athletes to develop an appreciation of the sport at all levels.
- Work with athletes to develop good character on and off the field.
- Assist division leaders, teachers, and counselors with athlete attendance, academics, and behavior in and out of the football season.
- Serve as a key member of the corporate sponsorship fundraising team, working in partnership with the development office.
- Enhance the youth football program at the school to develop skills and grow interest in the sport among younger students.
The Head Football Coach must be able to balance the demands of the job, including accountability for producing measurable results on and off the field, while working as a cooperating member of a team, communicating effectively with all stakeholders, and making appropriate decisions with the mission of the school always foremost in mind.
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong interpersonal and communications skills, proficiency in speaking and writing, and meticulous attention to detail. Additional qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree is desirable.
- Demonstrated results through prior work experiences.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Capacity to initiate and nurture relationships with stakeholders and community members.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask.
- Ability to work collegially and collaboratively as part of a team, while maintaining confidentiality.
- High level of energy and a good sense of humor with the capacity for extraordinary time and effort demands.
- A love of education and a willingness to support innovative teaching and learning at an independent college preparatory school.
- Embody the Trojan core values of Character, Commitment, Courage, and Community.
- Experience in an independent school or other non-profit entity is preferred.